The Rock Hill Local School District anniversary date is fast approaching. The district was formed on November 26, 1949 by action of the Lawrence County Board of Education. The Lawrence County Board of Education formed the new district by consolidating the Kitts Hill, Elizabeth, Hanging Rock and Upper Local School Districts. The following individuals were appointed by the County Board of Education to serve as the first board of education for the district: Henry Kidd, A.C. Sisler, James Robinson, Berlin Large, and Bennett Wells.
The members met in the home of A.C. Sisler on January 9, 1950 for the purpose of organizing. All the members were present and each was administered their oath of office by the County Superintendent George Webb. A.C. Sisler was elected as the first president of the board and Henry Kidd was the elected vice president. Mr Large moved that the name of the newly formed district be The Rock Hill Local School District. Mr. Kidd seconded the motion and all members voted yes.